AdminLeadership – Part 1: Mastering the Essentials: Meeting Minutes, Open Meetings Act, and Public Information Act
Noon – 1:30 P.M. Central time
Registration fees: $225 per facility | Non-Members Registration Fee: $350 per facility
This is a leadership development opportunity targeted at administrative professionals who are navigating the complexities of the health care industry.
Join us for an insightful webinar with health care law expert Kevin Reed, J.D., that delves into the critical aspects of meeting minutes, governance documents, the Open Meetings Act (OMA), and the Public Information Act (PIA). In today’s dynamic landscape, transparency, compliance, and effective communication are essential for successful organizations. This session will equip you with the knowledge and tools necessary to navigate the complexities of recording accurate meeting minutes, understanding governance documents, and adhering to the legal requirements outlined in OMA and PIA. Whether you’re a seasoned professional or new to the realm of governance, this webinar will empower you to enhance your organization’s accountability, transparency, and overall efficiency.
At the conclusion of this session, participants should be able to:
- Understand the critical items that must be included in the organization’s meeting minutes and their use as a vital tool for documenting decisions, actions, and discussions within organizations.
- Gain insights into different types of governance documents, their purpose, and their role in shaping organizational policies and procedures.
- Understand key provisions of the Open Meetings Act (OMA) including the requirements for conducting open and transparent meetings, executive sessions, and public access to meetings.
- Explore the fundamental principles of the Public Information Act (PIA), including the right to access public records, exemptions, and procedures for requesting information.
- Implement Best Practices: Identify best practices for maintaining well-organized records, managing sensitive information, and balancing transparency with confidentiality.
Kevin Reed assists various hospitals and health care systems with issues of regulatory compliance, complex business transactions, and medical staff peer review matters. Kevin is Board Certified in both Health Law and Administrative Law.
His wide-ranging experience in the health care sector include representing numerous hospitals through sales or acquisitions, forming new hospital districts, purchasing or leasing new facilities and medical offices, and drafting and implementing medical staff bylaws. He also works with hospitals and physicians on various aspects of peer review hearings and credentialing processes. For over 25 years, he has served as General Counsel for the Texas Organization of Rural & Community Hospitals (TORCH), assisting its member hospitals with virtually every aspect of their operations.
Kevin received his J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law, and a B.A. (cum laude) from Salem College in Salem, West Virginia. Among other honors, he holds the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, and has served on both the Exam Commission and Advisory Commission in Health Law for the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is also former Chair of the State Bar of Texas Health Law Section.
Outside of Reed Claymon, Kevin is active in community affairs, holding various leadership positions in his church. He was the first chair and served on the Board of Directors of the Austin Region Justice for our Neighbors, a nonprofit law office providing free legal services to immigrants and refugees. Mr. Reed currently serves at the Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Rio Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church.