2023 Updates to Evaluation and Management Code Descriptions and Documentation Challenges
9:00 – 10:30 A.M. Central time
Registration fees: $225 per facility| Non-Members Registration Fee: $350 per facility
Chief Financial Officer, Billing and Coding personnel
New Evaluation and Management (E/M) guidelines go into effect for all E/M categories on Jan. 1, 2023. With the 2023 updates, the 1995 and 1997 documentation guidelines will be permanently removed from use. Beginning Jan. 1, 2023, all categories of E/M codes that used the 1995 and 1997 guidelines will have levels selected based on medical decision making (MDM) or total time.
This webinar will detail:
- Updates throughout the E/M guidelines to support all categories.
- Minor changes to the MDM table.
- All E/M categories will be selected based on MDM or time, except emergency department selected based on MDM only.
- Deletion of observation codes (directed to inpatient and observation category)
- Deletion of domiciliary, rest home, or custodial care services (directed to home services).
- Prolonged services.
At the conclusion of this session, participants should be able to:
- Discuss updates to the E/M guidelines.
- Describe changes to the MDM table.
- Recall that all categories of E/M codes will have levels selected based on medical decision making or total time.
MEET YOUR FACULTY:
Jaci Kipreos is the director of provider audit services at Coker Group and an approved instructor for AAPC. She has over 30 years of experience working in the field of medical coding and auditing and has been a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) since 1994. She has acquired numerous certifications, and her experience includes expertise in coding for OB/GYN, family care, urgent care, and general surgery. Jaci is also knowledgeable in Medicare Teaching Physician Guidelines and other Medicare policies, with particular emphasis on Evaluation and Management. Nationally acclaimed for medical coding, many have called on her expertise to assist in physician office compliance, medical chart audits, and provider and staff education. Jaci was recognized as Coder of the Year for the State of Virginia in 2006. Additionally, Jaci has been an instructor for over 25 years for CPC, CPMA, and COC, and is a Certified ICD-10 Instructor through AAPC for both ICD-10 CM and ICD-10 PCS. Jaci is a past president of local chapters of AAPC and is also the previous president of the AAPC National Advisory Board.